Old November 18th 03, 05:56 PM
Scott Schluer

That's a very valid point, especially the part about which outlook got the
first paragraphs (I didn't think about that). However, I only said it was
more objective than most of the articles I've read, not that it was a
totally objective piece. ;-)

"Working with groups like AOPA, TSA has instituted a number of measures to
help increase the level the security surrounding general aviation, said
Brian Turmail, an agency spokesman. "

"We basically feel that the whole premise that the typical [general
aviation] aircraft can be used as a terrorist weapon is flawed," said Chris
Dancy, a spokesman for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. "These
small planes just don't have the kinetic energy, don't have the carrying
capacity to be an effective weapon," Dancy said. In addition, there's never
been a verified episode of a small plane actually being used in a terrorist
incident, the association says."

"Other steps TSA has taken include putting flight restrictions in place for
national sporting events and working with local law enforcement to visually
identify pilots of banner towing airplanes. "

I was focusing more on the fact that they showed BOTH sides of the story
rather than sensationalizing the "terrorist threat" aspect of the story like
so many others do.

Scott

"Robert Perkins" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:51:22 -0700, "Scott Schluer"
wrote:

http://msnbc.com/news/993760.asp?0cv=CB10

Seems to be a little more well written and objective than most articles

on
this subject. They mentioned AOPA's Airport Watch program among other
things. They also have a picture of that C-172 hanging from that building

in
Florida (it was Florida, right)? Just seems to prove that a light

aircraft
can't do much damage to a building.

Their caption was, "The January 2002 theft of a plane from a Florida
airport that resulted in this crash shows how vulnerable such general
aviation airports are to potential terrorist use, the GAO says."

One event. Two outlooks. And since the more alarmist outlook got the
first paragraphs and the above-the-fold picture caption, I'd say it
wasn't all that objective.

Rob

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to

-- Orson Scott Card