Old June 2nd 04, 03:58 PM
Michelle P

You cannot expect thunderstorm avoidance from ATC. IT IS YOUR
RESPONSIBILITY.
How much help depends on the individual controller. Having some weather
equipment is a great help. A strike finder or equivalent is your best
first line of defense. They are best a giving azimuth not usually great
on range. A strong storm far away will appear closer than it it is. Good
situational awareness of current position and direction and weather
location and direction are your best line of defense.

Michelle

Michael 182 wrote:

"PaulH" wrote in message
. com...

I have a fairly new IFR rating and am wondering how much help to
expect from ATC on Tstorm avoidance. Will they suggest re-routing or
do you have to request it based on visual, FSS, or stormscope
location?

Varies day to day, but you should not _expect_ TS avoidance. First, ATC has
limited equipment to see TS's. Second, their first responsibility is terrain
and traffic separation - your avoidance of storms is definitely a secondary
concern (same goes for icing, by the way).

You can always request rerouting, or just a simple diversion ("Center, 6RP
would like 10 degrees right for 10 minutes for weather", or something like
that.) You are rarely denied either if weather is unsafe. But ultimately it
is your call, and you should expect to have to cancel IFR at some point to
have the freedom to avoid weather. Of course, if you are in IMC, you can
declare an emergency if weather constraints absolutely require it. I have
done this in icing conditions. There have been many debates over whether you
will get in trouble for doing this on this newsgroup. My experience was
that, other than showing concern for my safe passage through the weather,
ATC had no other issues with the emergency declaration.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity