Old May 31st 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Default Valve Train Geometry: Devil = Details

Some more resources for setting up Valve Train Geometry on VW engines:

Simurda, Bruce. "Setting Rocker Geometry." Dune Buggies and Hot VWs
Oct.2005 58-59. This article DOES NOT discuss sizing the cam gear,
and it uses a rather uncommon type of valve adjuster, but this a
help. And since this magazine still exists, back issues are not out
of the question. http://www.hotvws.com

Hoover, R.S. "Dialing In Your Cam. Part One: Organizing Your Engine
Buildup." VW Trends October 2001 66-73.

Hoover, R.S. "Dialing In Your Cam. Part Two: Finding the TDC." VW
Trends November 2001 24-34.

These article DO discuss sizing the cam gear, as well as fine tuning
the cam timing. Not so much about setting the valve train. Good luck
finding them. I've got them, but no, you can't have copies. Even
though VW Trends did not honor their commitment to Veeduber, I'm
strong on honoring HIS commitment to copyrights and all they imply,
and no way I'm distributing this material.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/degreeing.html Generic article on
degreeing your cam.

http://www.hotrodder.com/kwkride/degree.html Another generic article
on degreeing or clocking cams, oriented to V-8s.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=97118 LONG discussion
with pictures on valve train geometry. Read the whole thing.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=103707 Another such
discussion, although
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=45778 More

It's easy to get lost in these, they discuss a lot of non-standard
parts. Try and grasp the PRINCIPLE. The details in YOUR
circumstances may differ.

There is one more excellent thread in ShopTalk Forums I'll find later
today.