Old December 13th 03, 03:05 AM
Stephen Harding

mrtrav3 wrote:

Is the display of this aircraft any less devoid of historical context
and discussion than any other exhibit? My understanding is that the
musuem wants to treat this like any other aircraft on display.
It's not a political exhibit, it's a technological one.

I think that is an excellent point.

Surely there should be mention of the B-29 being the mule that
delivered the first atomic bomb, and even how many people that one
bomb killed compared to that of the thousands of fire bombs these
aircraft dropped earlier on Japan.

The application of the atomic bomb in areal warfare is as significant
as crossing the Atlantic, or going around the world without refueling,
or breaking the speed of sound. So its mention is certainly a requirement
of any display of the B-29.

Making the display a focal point for a political debate on the
appropriateness of atomic weaponry, the arms race, or neo-conservativism
threats to world peace and harmony doesn't seem to be proper to me.

Your crossposting to food and celebrity newsgroups is very odd......

Wondered about that myself.

SMH