Old November 16th 11, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

Default 2012 Moriarty Super Regional Club/Modern Class contest

On Nov 15, 6:24*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
Hi John,

It is nice, at least in theory to Club Class enthusiasts, to have the
Club Class as close as possible to the rule and spirit of the FAI Club
Class, when considering handicap spreads.

In general, from last years experience, I think using a 'two tier'
handicap system is a GREAT format for any regional or super regional
contest.

Mike

Mike:

That's great, and you should do whatever makes your pilots happy.

In general, these things might work better with overlapping handicap
ranges. What if a ventus 1 pilot doesn't want to fly with the standard
cirruses in club class and would prefer to fly with his buddies in FAI
class? Why force him to club class if his ambitions lie elsewhere?

But that's not too important. *The main point is that others may want
to set up something with overlapping handicap ranges. I didn't want
others to infer there is some rule that handicap ranges can't overlap.
It turns out there are a surprising number of things that people think
are in the rules that really aren't there!

John Cochrane

I think your overlapping idea and illustration is a very good one
John.

Mike