Old September 27th 05, 10:02 PM
Denny

The lugs are steel and are plated with a metal that is less reactive to
both Cu and Al... Along with that I dip the cable end into antioxident
grease (NOALOX) before crimping the lug onto it... Then I wrap the
connection with self vulcanizing rubber (3M - at any electrical
distributor catering to contractors) to block moisture entry... The
cables on Fat Albert are of 1956 vintage (assembly date 1957) and the
original lugs look clean with no evidence of powdering, etc. at the
crimp point... Also, the fat boy is hangared in an insulated hangar,
other than on trips, which greatly reduces condensation corrosion of
interior parts...

On the "cable extension kit" I didn't see that and the sales lady
obviously never heard of it.. Actually, I like my 2-0 cable and lugs
better than what they would have likely provided... I just didn't like
the surprise of finding the gap which cost me a 3 day delay and an
additional 50 mile round trip to solve...

On the self induction current holding the solenoid in for 'seconds' - I
haven't noticed that but I will pay attention and let the group know if
I do see it...

denny