Old June 2nd 04, 07:44 PM
Badwater Bill

Enjoy your vitriol, but remember that Pinkneyville is a party. No
more, no less. It's not Oshkosh, and it's not supposed to be. For me
it's a chance to see people I know through the 'net but don't
otherwise meet. It was a good weekend.

Now ain't that sensitive! Ain't that tender!

I hung out with some old friends, told a few tall tales and listened
to a few more, drank a few beers, helped a fellow with a cold jug on
his engine get it running again, flew a twin I hadn't flown before,
watched an impromptu airshow, and generally had a good time. BTW -
what did YOU do that weekend?

You wouldn't believe me if I told you. You'd come back with another
of the endless follow ups you morons concoct to make yourselves feel
you have superior skills. Would you believe that I was with Jim
Campbell at Mohave just as Burt Rutan's boys were about to make a 55
second burn and attained 212,000 feet msl at apogee in their space
ship?

Nah, you'd never believe that. In fact you probably don't even know
about the project. You spend too much time reading your own posts
here to know about what's important in the rest of the aviation world.

That twin Comanche is slow, it has dangerous flat spin characteristics
with one engine out, and no useful load. If you weigh a couple
hundred pounds and you fill it with fuel, you'll only get two more
medium sized people in it without busting gross.

But, my point was not to run down your airplane. My point was to run
down the people. I actually think twin Comanches are fun to fly, even
though they burn 15 gallons per hour and only go 160 mph. A
Cessna-210 has the same burn but does 200 mph, plus carries 1000
pounds of people when it's full of fuel.

But most of the people who read this group wouldn't know that, or
know the differences. Just like they don't know the differences
between what we all once envisioned the RAH fly-in to become. But, as
you said, it's just a party now. You can thank people like Sydney and
Moon Man for that. All the real deep talent quit attending long ago.
It is now what you people want it to be, the lowest common
denominator, not a fly-in of any substantial depth, just John
Johnson's annual picnic. A place where he can run around bitching
about how he's losing his ass and needs more money because he ****ed
off the guy who subsidized "His Party" long ago.

Just a picnic anymore where you can go and meet Sydney, Ha Ha. Gee,
I guess that's what I missed to go to Mohave that weekend.

Just a party! Yep. I have to give you credit for that remark. You
couldn't have said it better.

BWB

Michael