Old December 7th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default IFR Cancellation Question

I would file the ASR which can now be done on-line.

I think the controller forgot that you were an IFR handoff
an not a VFR getting traffic advisories.

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
| Severe clear today, so other then the safety net of ATC
services, weather
| wasn't an issue.
|
| Coming back from HBG (Hattiesburg MS) to MBO (Madison MS)
encountered the
| following exchange with ATC. I was already told to expect
the visual
| approach in my inital contact with approach controller.
Frequency, while
| not wall to wall traffic, was busier then normal.
|
| ATC Sundowner 1943L, descend and maintain 2000, report
Madison in sight.
| Me 43L will report Madison in sight.
| Me Approach 43L, has Madison in sight
| ATC 43L radar services terminated, squawk VFR, have a good
evening
| Me Uh, 43L would like to cancel IFR at this time.
| ATC 43L radar services terminated, squawk VFR.
| Me, Uh, will assume IFR cancellation received, squawking
VFR, good
| evening.
|
| I change to Unicom and land as normal. After landing,
switch over to
| Clearance and Delivery (CD) to see if indeed my IFR
cancellation was
| received, but it was busy with the controller handling
approach and
| departure traffic (one guy does all I guess?) so I didn't
interrupt the
| frequency.
|
| Took my time tying down and hung around for a bit just in
case ATC called
| the airport, in which they did not (seen this done many
times when IFR
| traffic forgets to call CD) so I felt comfortable that the
airspace was
| re-opened for arrivals.
|
| Queston one: I never was cleared for the visual which
caught me off
| guard on my forth line, and since it was severe clear, I
figured go ahead
| and cancel my IFR thus negating my need for the visual
clearance. No
| biggie, but shouldn't I have been cleared for the visual
before radar
| services are terminated?
|
| Question two: While I wanted on the tapes that IFR
cancellation was
| received (see last transmission by me), was I truly and
properly
| cancelled out of the IFR system? Since the frequency was
busy, figured
| to let sleeping dogs rest, but I wasn't comfortable with
the fact that I
| didn't hear the buzz words "IFR cancellation received".
|
| Question three: Is this worthy of ASR filing? No safety
issue by any
| means, but there were areas left wide open for
miscommunication (I.E. not