Old September 23rd 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

Default Going for my Multiengine rating

Be careful with using the electric trim to flare. Assuming
that the airplane is properly loaded with the CG within the
range, the elevator forces required between an approach
speed of 1.3 Vso and the flare should be slight. Do a W&B
for your landing configuration, be sure to check for an
items stowed in a forward baggage area and for fuel.

The problem that WILL happen is at some point you will gave
to go-around, that means you will need a hand on the power
and you will REALLY need two hands on the elevator because
the electric trim isn't fast enough, you will have a sudden
need to hold the nose down, will loose A/S, perhaps even
stall, then the real bad thing can happen, en engine
failure, Vmc and spin at 100 AGL.

Do some exercise with weights, it is safer.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Michelle P"
wrote in message ...
| Kobra wrote:
| Flyers,
|
| For absolutely no reason, except that I want it, I have
been taking
| Multiengine lessons (including Multi-Instrument and
Commercial). The flight
| school has a Piper Seneca I (PA34-200) circa 1973.
|
| It fly's like a flying Bulldozer on Codeine (sp?). It's
a beast...really.
| The controls are so stiff my left wrist and both knees
ache after a one hour
| lesson. Is this normal for a Seneca or any twin? Are
there docile twins
| out there?
|
| During pre-flight when I have to check the control
surfaces for free
| movement, the ailerons feel like the hinges are rusted
solid and it's like
| lifting a fifty pound weight when try and move the
stabilator. I always
| hesitate to declare them "free".
|
| I have to use two hands to flare and there's a fine,
very fine line between
| a nose landing and a balloon. Some where in the middle
of this micron sized
| line is a good landing flare.
|
| Any thoughts would be appreciated.
|
| BTW if anyone is interested in the Sporty's DVD - So You
Want to Fly Twins.
| I have it on eBay:
|
| http://tinyurl.com/36mp5y
|
| Kobra
| (apologizing for the cross post)
|

| Congrats. Flaring: if the plane has electric trim use it.
I fly a twin
| that weights 4800 lbs when I land without the trim I have
to use two