Old October 17th 03, 04:42 PM

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
.. .
Steve Hix wrote:

Well, speaking of size, doesn't it look pretty small for an
RB-211?...I googled for info and found that the fan on a 211 is
6.5 feet in diameter. I realize that the fan is gonna be bigger
than the turbine/compressor discs but this one looks to be maybe
2.5 to 3 feet wide judging from the fireman's leg in the
foreground. Seems a bit small doesn't it?.

My brother, whos a turbine engineer tells me the inner compression
disks of this engine are between 29 and 41 inches in diameter
and it looks like that section to him. The IP compression
stage is behind the main fan which which would have taken the
brunt of any impact.

Keith

Ok thanks Keith...I did notice in the info that I found that
there was a surprisingly large difference in diameter between the
fan and the other discs (just going by a sketch that I saw)
--

-Gord.