Old February 3rd 19, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:22:17 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 8:41:53 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:06:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
...When towing behind Keith E.'s 182 at Parowan my PFLarm sounded a new and totally annoying alarm. It turned out to be the ADS-B out signal from that towplane. While I could silence the alarm by pushing the appropriate button, it came back after a minute or so. How are we going to deal with that when in a busy thermal with 10 other ADS-B out transmitting gliders?

Doesn't Powerflarm filter out the spurious ADS-B proximity warnings when BOTH aircraft have Powerflarm (and 1+ aircraft have ADS-B-out)?

Yes, that would require PowerFLARM in the tow plane. ADS-B alone is quite noisy.
Jim

Exactly. And been mentioned on r.a.s. in the past. PowerFLARM Out in the towplane if properly set up tells the other PowerFLARM units in the glider that the target is a towplane (no easy way to tell that over ADS-B), and a PowerFLARM equipped glider will deduplicate the target and use FLARM communicated data that provides better target flight path data. Not an issue for normal ADS-B GA traffic but other gliders and towplanes who will be flying close to PowerFLARM equipped gliders..... the implicit expectation is they have PowerFLARM Out.... which we don't seem to be actually installing in towplanes much in the USA. Folks putting ADS-B Out in a towplane for 2020 compliance reasons should be aware of this and thinking about adding PowerFLARM if they are towing lots of PowerFLARM equipped gliders.