Old February 9th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics

Default Blunt Trailing Edges

Thanks for the update!

Last summer I had the chance to have a look at the SP-55 up close and the
trailing edges of all flying surfaces where extremely thick. From 1/4 inch
on the wingtip (or elevator/rudder) to more than 1 inch on the wing root. I
was wondering what this is for and the russian engieneer I asked couldnīt
answer...

Cheers

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
here is what I have read somewhere.

Blunted trailing edges on the wings such as are found on the Extra series
of aircraft where I believe this practice was first undertaken cause a
delay in the stall. Something to do with the turblence and the associated
vacuum causing a delay in separation. To the best of my knowledge the idea
was explored in Germany during the 40's(?). Having looked at these
aircraft up close these blunted trailing edges are 1/4 thick at most and I
gather their effect is significant or I suspect Mr. Extra would have done
something else.

Cheers