Old July 23rd 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Why GA is Dying

When post 9/11 checks started, a friend of mine, an airline
pilot, was on the road. They took his nail clippers too and
then he went to the cockpit and checked to see that the
crash axe was stowed. It would make Buffy a good vampire
killer.

There was also the case of a federal marshal who had
paperwork to carry his gun on the flight and TSA cleared him
to board with his loaded pistol, but they took his nail
clippers since they were not on the paperwork.

TSA---Too Stupid for Arby's

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

| "Emily" wrote in message
| . ..
| Dudley Henriques wrote:
|
| You can parse the "my rights are being violated" thing
to death, and you
| can complain about the inconvenience till you're blue
in the face, but
| the bottom line is simply that you can't have it both
ways.

| But taking pictures isn't illegal. I live right near a
large Class B
| airport with a great observation area. I also like
taking pictures. I
| once had a cop come up to me at the observation area and
ask why I was
| taking pictures. I told him that it wasn't illegal and
I wasn't under any
| obligation to explain myself to him. Yeah, he could
have made me leave,
| but knowing I was right, he walked off.
|
| My point is, when I get harassed by a cop (and harassed
I was, since I
| wasn't doing anything wrong), I'll keep on complaining.
A 20-something
| white girl with a camera and commercial certificate in
her purse is as
| much a security hazard as a rabbit. And you CAN have it
both ways.

| No, you can't have it both ways.
|
| People who are taking pictures at airports unfortunately
are now a security
| issue. This doesn't mean the security people have a right
to "hassle" you or
| push you around, but it does mean that if you are
questioned politely in a
| non threatening manner you either will respond to this
"intrusion" by
| recognizing its a security issue until you demonstrate
that its not, or you
| will stand there and shout like hell that your personal
space and rights are
| being violated and that taking pictures isn't illegal.
| No one says the system is perfect. Actually, it stinks.
But complaining
| about your right to take pictures in an atmosphere where
security is an
| issue is not necessarily the best approach.
| Hell...you think your case was bad? I have a friend who
Captain's a 747. He
| and his entire crew were stopped and body searched at a
major US hub while
| an entire line of civilians went through the gates
unhampered. After 20
| minutes or so of this, they took his nail clippers. The
flight was late
| getting off, but those civilians went through just fine.
| It "ain't" perfect, that's for sure. The best approach is
one of quiet
| cooperation unless there is an actual incident involving
your innocent
| activity and security people hassling you, and I mean
REALLY hassling you!.