Old December 6th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Default Recording Hobbs

fwiw, I use a steno pad. Wx notes go on top, flight plan under it,
startup tach/hobbs, clearance under all of that, then freqs, estimates
at fixes, actuals at fixes, and so on. I have a number of those pads,
each page holding the complete contemporaneous record of a flight. The
pads hold 90 sheets, I keep some reference notes on some pages, so
there may be 150 or 170 flights in each book. What makes it especially
neat is I can look at how I filed a particular flight from some time
ago, or look at a given flight and remember more details than the
single line in my log book provides.

The pencil gets stuck in the spring, the pad is easy to write on (no
knee clips or things like that, they tend to wrinkle up suit pants).

That brings up a long ago memory. I remember sometime in the 60s seeing
the Blue Angels at South Waymouth Naval Air Station in MA. There was a
P51 Spitfire out on the field, and I remember watching a guy go out
wearing a suit. He took off his coat, climbed in, strapped on the
chute, then took off and did things (I wasn't a pilot then) that I had
never seen done before -- high speed low passes inverted, following the
dip in the runway so he seemed to disappear -- that sort of thing. He
landed, got out, put on his suit coat, and walked away.

Much later I'd fly with my friends in their C172s and the like and
they'd put on their flying boots and flying gloves and God knows what
else. It made me smile.

I did a lot of flying on business, and would remember that Spitfire
jockey when I'd go out to the Mooney, fold my suitcoat and put it in
the backseat, then fly off.

However, I remember a couple of times finishing my meetings or
whatever, go out to the airplane in a rainstorm and find water in the
tanks! Draining a lowwing tanke in the rain is NOT a suit and tie job!

I know the last few paragraphs do not have anything to do with the
OP's question -- but the steno pad does. Give that way of keeping
flight plans and notes a try, you may find you like it a lot.

On Dec 5, 5:34 pm, "BG" wrote:
Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of the
PDA? Thanks