Old September 21st 03, 12:21 AM
Larry Smith

Default Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop

I have a wood prop on my Taylorcraft and the GPS says it's slow, at around
65 kts. How about a discussion on the relative merits of wood and aluminum
props. I understand that wood is easier on your engine but the aluminum
prop is more efficient. Another thing I notice too, especially on the
O-320 and O-360-powered RV's is that the wood prop is so light it has little
flywheel effect and if you don't have your timing retarded, it will kick
back in a heartbeat. I figure the wood prop on a Van's aircraft is for CG.

I think what I'll do is buy an aluminum prop and try it for a while. I
couldn't keep up with a DCO-75 last week and it was a little embarrassing,
since his engine was sick. But he had an aluminum prop.