Old May 30th 07, 01:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan[_1_]

Default Curious question to the group.

The Germans experimented with them.
It is my understanding that JATO (or RATO) first used on an Ercoupe.
A picture of it in action was posted on this NG some months ago.
Alan
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
adelsonsl said the following on 29/05/07 16:21:

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a B-47 using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

That picture interests me as we saw them all day and every day at Brize
Norton, when we were kids. Some were carried externally but some had
them carried internally. Why apart from developmental reasons ?

--
"Initiative is punishable."
Russian business saying.