View Single Post
Old October 5th 15, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Auto-towing? Cost...about $1.50 per tow? Why is this launchingtechnique not more popular?

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:40:16 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I've no pony in this race.

How does automobile liability insurance apply to autotow?

How does the SSA glider insurance apply to autotow?

If you hit someone or some thing while driving your car, your liability coverage is to take care of it. Should be no different than driving down the road. If you are talking in terms of liability for injury that may come to the person you are launching, they probably won't cover that. At some point in life, we must all accept some level of responsibility for our actions.. And decide who we are willing to trust to not harm us.

SSA glider insurance does not care by what means the launch takes place so long as the glider is approved for that method of launch, and the pilot is endorsed for that method of launch.

And, I really, really doubt that you can do it for $1.50 per launch when you include gas, wear on the car, rope cost and all the other real expenses.

Almost wandered off into other things, but reeled myself in. Auto towing is fun, and if you have a place you can do it and don't have a towplane and tow pilot all the time, it sure is nice to be able to do it!

Steve Leonard