Old September 9th 03, 04:30 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
av8r writes:
Hi Peter

Any and all constructive nitpicking is welcome.

I do not have the exact date, but sometime in August of 1962, the U.S.
Navy sent a five AD-5Q (EA-IF) Skyraider detachment from VAW-13 to Tan
Son Nhut. While there, the five-aircraft interceptor team, alternated
with detachments from the 509th FIS. It was a learning process for
theme as they practiced the best methods od identifying airborne
intruders. The deployments which were under operational control of
COMUSMACV ranged from August to September, 1962; January to February,
1964 and finally during November of 1963.

Hmm, As I understand it, the Australians were also present as well,
flying Avon Sabres. Do you have anything on their activities?

Speaking of the F-102, it got down to 40 and 50 below up in Goose Bay
quite often. The sound of the A/B kicking in on a cold day or even
colder night was deafening. It used to rattle all the dishes in the
china cabinet of our married quarters. It could really get off the
ground in a short distance on cold days as well.

Yepper. I've heard some amazing tales about the performance boost
that cold weather gives a jet from some of the Canadian CF-101
drivers. At 50 below, the Voodoo really gets up & goes.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster