Old March 1st 04, 02:44 AM
Tank Fixer

In article ,
on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:47:53 GMT,
R. David Steele VE attempted to say .....

| Not everyone keeps up with various policies and DoD planning.
| the current chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen Myers, was picked
| to plan for this potential war.
|
|Actually, you're the one who seems out of touch. The Joint Staff plans for
|all sorts of wars all the time. But Presidents don't pick Chairmen of the
|JCS to plan any particular wars. Indeed, the Chairman's job is mostly to
|supervise current ops; the Staff does long-term planning regardless of who
|is in charge.

There were several articles in the Washington Post here, when the
GWOT started (just after Sept 11th), on how Gen. Myers was
selected to plan for a possible war with China. And how he was
out of his element with the GWOT. It is common knowledge, at
here in DC, that we do have a war in the making with China. It
would be nice to avoid that war. But Gen Myers does have that
mission.

That is hardly a ringing endorsement for your sources.
And if such a thing is "common knowledge" then some folks need to be both
fired AND thrown in jail.

| China has let it be known, there
| are a number of papers coming out of their post graduate officers
| school, that they plan to challenge us for control of the far
| east. That means control over India, most of SE Asia (down to
| Australia), Japan, the Philippines and Siberia.
|
|China's policy appears to be primarily focussed on ensuring that no one else
|interfrres with their own territory.

And they define that "territory" as everything from India to
Australia to Siberia and Japan. The whole of the far East. This
has been China's "domain" for thousands of years. The question
is do you want to be shut out of that area?

They haven't ruled it in a thousand years. And couldn't if they tried.
In fact they seem to be having a hard time ruling the territories they
currently occupy.

| Also China has sent it agents off its soil as it never has in
| 5000 years. They now run the Panama Canal. Have bases all
| throughout the Caribbean. Now own a port (former naval base) in
| San Diego. And they have extensive operations all throughout
| North Africa.
|
|Oh, good grief. China has commercial intereasts worldwide, yes. But
|there's no evidence that running port operations in Panama (NOT running the
|Canal proper, BTW) translates into any sort of aggressive intent. INdeed,
|the company that runs those ops is a Hong Kong-based multinational, not
|controlled by the Chinese government as the fearmongers would have you
|believe.

Since much of "business" in China is owned by the People's
Republican Army (PRA), business is seen as an arm of the
military.

Where, did you say you worked ? A contractor doing Intel ?
It's the "People's Revolutionary Army"

Whether we like it or not, things change. China has been looking
for a chance to be player. With the USSR gone, and Russia weak,
they have their chance. Most of us have no problem if they play
fair and equal. But if they treat business much the way the
mafia does then we will have to learn to be equally aggressive.

The party elite like their MB limo's too much to cause problems.

Not everyone in the world sees appeasement as being fair minded.
Many see those who use appeasement as being weak thus prey.

--
When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.