Old November 22nd 03, 06:15 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
wrote:

I'm looking for challenging instrument approaches in the United States
that I can have my students fly on the simulator.

I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions. Any type of IAP is
welcome as long as it makes the pilot work a little bit.

Tia

Richard Kowalski

I like the LOC-8 at DXR. There's nothing particularly magic about it,
but it has a few twists which throw people who havn't properly briefed
the approach, and thus makes for a good lesson.

The missed hold is a VOR-VOR fix. If you havn't got things set up
before you start the approach, you've got a lot of radio work to get the
fix dialed in before you get there.

Also, the airport's rotating beacon is up on a hilltop about a half mile
from the runway. If you see the beacon and get fooled into just flying
straight for that visually, you can get led astray.

Lastly, the LOC course is not quite aligned with the runway centerline
(it's off by a few degrees). This can lead to a little confusion.