Old March 17th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Radio Replacement

Jim Stewart wrote:
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

I have (2) KX170B radios which I'm very happy with, except that one of
them has been diagnosed with a bad MHz crystal on the comm side. The new
crystals are apparently no longer available from Bendix/King. The
avionics shop apparently scavenged a replacement from a used radio they
had in the shop, but they were not able to align the radio to factory
specs with this "used" crystal. They are recommending that I replace the
radio which, of course, is of the most benefit to them.

Back in my ham radio days, I had custom crystals
made for converting police band radios to 440mhz.
The custom crystals costed me about $30 each with
about a 2 week lead time. OTOH, given that every-
thing about an airplane is hard and expensive, I
suppose you couldn't get it done for less than
$500.

Given that your tech couldn't align the radio
with a scrounged crystal, I'd have to assume the
worst, that the radio is not easily fixed.

Custom crystals still start at about $30.

The only problem (ignoring the legalities) would be providing appropriate
specs for the crystal.

On the other hand, since crystals are generally not prone to failure and
the radio didn't work with a different crystal, I would begin to doubt
the original diagnoses.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.