Old October 17th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Default Do your straps up tightly for winch launches!

Derek Copeland wrote:
The UK Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) has
recently published a report on a fatal accident involving
a DG600 sailplane back in 2005.

snip
The only anomaly found was that the ASI static was
connected to the Total Energy probe, which might have
caused the ASI to misread. However tests showed that
this would only cause minor errors.

This seems completely wrong to me. The TE probe should produce a
pressure below static equal to the dynamic pressure, so the
differential pressure to the ASI would be doubled, and the ASI would
read high by 70%. I would not consider this a minor error!

I would seriously question the test results, and the report's
conclusions based on this.