Old August 18th 05, 07:22 PM

Mark Hansen wrote:
: I've done what Maule Driver is talking about, and think of it rather
: like using the VSI to assist in maintaining altitude. I use the VSI
: to give me an indication that an altitude change is coming, and I need
: to anticipate it and correct (the VSI doesn't react all that quickly,
: but still...)

: If I do this right, I never see the altitude change. Of course,
: this doesn't change the fact that the altimeter is the primary pitch
: instrument - it's just not the only pitch instrument.

: So ... I do the same with the T&B giving me an indication that a turn
: is coming, and I can anticipate it and react. The DG is still the final
: authority as to whether or not you're heading in the right direction, but
: I think it's better to keep it on the heading, rather than notice it's
: not and having to correct (when the turbulence allows, of course ;-) )

Sure... they're all related of course. I guess the point I was trying to make
is that (barring turbulence), I don't *see* a change in VSI/AI/T&B in straight/level
cruise. A certain amount of pressure on the controls will fix small errors in DG/ALT.
Those are typical in non-turbulent flight, and there will be no perceptible indication
from the VSI/AI/T&B. For anything other than a minute change (e.g. turbulence) the
other indicators are better and then line up on the "primaries" (DG/ALT).

Like I said... to each their own. Probably saying the same thing anyway...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *