Old April 28th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Kinda sad

Ok so I took a bit of poetic license But you have to admit the
majority of the displays at Oshkosh are for airplanes costing over
$100,000 Hell I'm building a 601XL from a kit, and the Factory built
LSA version from AMD is around $80,000

It's impossible to bring the recreational discretionary income dollars
to the sport with entry costs that high, and thus we have no next
generation coming up in aviation

For reference the typical toys Americans spend their Recreational
Discretionary dollars are Boats ( saw really nice one at Bass Pro a
couple of weeks ago for less then $30,000. Campers / Trailers Same or
lower price range Motorcycles, classic cars, snow mobiles the list
goes on.....

Its just very difficult to get new people into aviation and to get the
sales up enough to lower costs with an entry price of $80,000

Yes I know UL types cost less but these are perceived by the general
public as the domain of the daredevil and don't really help up get new
blood into the sport. Not everybody is gonna build their own either

You wanna see an explosion in sales Gimme a $40,000 RTF enclosed
cabin metal 100 MPH airplane and I'll show you the revolution

Its just my opinion i would be happy to be wrong if it would mean more
people would get exposed to flying

Later

Larry

On Apr 27, 5:58 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
Perhaps it could be that EAA was founded to focus on the HOMEBUILDER
not the "order a kit and have a professional shop build your $500,000
pressurized monster for you"

Seriously, what percentage of finished experimentals fall into that
category?

It was always supposed to be about the joy of flight / affordable
aircraft. It seem shocking that they now have to go searching for
affordable airplanes

At about what price point would you define "afforable aircraft?"