Old December 31st 03, 06:59 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:09:08 -0500, "Ron Natalie" wrote:

"ec-ill" wrote in message ...
Hi. Iīm a student that is going for the PPL. I would like to listen the
traffic and controllers but i donīt know how.
I just bought a scanner MAycom AR108 but i does not catch the controller.

If your scanner can't hear the controller, it's not likely that a transceiver will either.

You should first invest in a higher/better antenna.

My vote's for higher. Back when the FCC tightened the frequency standards,
I replaced my Escort 110 with a newer radio. The Escort now sits in my
office, with a Rat Shack power supply and a copper-tape dipole antenna.
The ATIS for Sea-Tac International (about eight miles away, at about the
same ground elevation) is just *barely* unreadable. When it was in the
airplane, this radio with a similar dipole antenna used to pick up traffic
at an airport 80 miles away from pattern altitude.

The current setup does just fine for ground transmissions from a nearby
uncontrolled field, but then I'm only two miles away and 400 feet higher.

Ron Wanttaja