Old May 11th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best cell phone/plan for pilots

marc wrote:
Year 2006 version

I am wondering what is the best plan for getting coverage at the many
rural locations we fly into? Right now I have a Verizon plan and a

Marc

I use a Tracphone and it appears to piggyback upon whatever service is
available. So if anybody has service, it has service.I fly out of
small and rural airports and have yet to fail to get a signal.

I do send mostly text messages. That's convienent because you can key
in "Leaving Potosi" or "Arriving Cross City" and then transmit just
before I take off or soon after I land. Keeps my wife informed (my
version of flight following.)

John Hudson Tiner