Old August 27th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Another stall spin

I am especially saddened to hear this, Jim was a good friend and a great guy
I've know for probably more than 30 years. Jim was not only a good friend
but a great asset to his club and the people around him, he was always jolly
and helpful, willing to take on the extra responsibilities and help promote
his club and help those around him. I, in fact had just flown with Jim on
the practice day at Region III in the clubs K21 to renew my CFI certificate,
together we had a good flight that included working some rough choppy
thermal to complete the exam. I know there will be a void again losing yet
another of my soaring pals and his loss will be deeply felt by all that knew
him.
tim Mara

"Jp Stewart" wrote in message
From TA's Dansville contest write-up:
"Unfortunately, we were also saddened to hear of yet another apparent
stall-spin fatality; Jim Rizzo, Finger Lakes club president and FAA
Designated Examiner for the area was killed when his glider crashed into a
farmer’s field not far from the Dansville airport. Jim was not part of the
contest and was just flying locally when the accident occurred. All we know
is what the farmer said (and this is 3rd hand to me) that apparently Jim was
trying to thermal away from a low altitude and spun in (sound familiar? – it
should – this is the 3rd almost identical fatality this season here on the
east coast)."
http://soaringcafe.com/2012/08/day-6...ille-region-3/

JP