Old April 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Roy Smith

Stan Gosnell wrote:
I have to agree that center is incorrect in giving a clearance for a visual
when you don't have the airport in sight.

I've always figured, "cleared visual" is just a shorthand way of
avoiding the following conversation: "Report the airport in sight",
"Field in sight", The visual approach is available if you'd like it",
"Request visual", "Cleared visual approach". It's one transmission
instead of five, and while it may not meet the letter of the law, it's
pretty unlikely to cause any confusion or harm.

On the other hand, I've had NY Approach trying hard to sell me a visual
when I was in solid IMC. I can only assume that based on the best
weather information the controller had, he thought things were better
than they really were. For all I know, the guy in front of me was in a
hurry, didn't mind cheating, and gave a bogus pirep to approach to get
in faster.

So, I think the bottom line is if you're offered a visual and you don't
think it makes sense, simply follow Nancy Reagan's advice: 'Just say
"No"'.