Old February 5th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

Default dirty oil

Dan Luke wrote:
wrote:

Definitely have an A&P borescope that engine. Broken ring maybe.

Talked to my mechanic this morning. He said not to worry; the dirty oil is
from the oil cooler and its plumbing, which don't get drained when the oil is
changed.

Should I pay to have the cylinders 'scoped?

Not sure I would completely believe this one. less than 1qt in 8 should
not turn the oil black. It will discolor it but it should not be black.
We had the oil in an engine on one of our 337s turn black in a couple of
hours. I talked to my boss (also an A&P) about this and we pulled the
engine and replaced it. Something was definitely wrong.

Michelle