Old November 1st 04, 03:20 AM
Kyle Boatright

Don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars before you get your license.
You may find that you don't like flying, or you don't have one of the
necessary skills to be a safe pilot, particularly in a higher performance
airplane. Wait until you know what type of flyer you are (or will be) and
pick a suitable airplane at the time.

If you're thinking Cirrus long term, when the time comes to buy, get a
Tomahawk, Cherokee, or Grumman to get a feel for low wing aircraft and
systems. That'll make the transition to the Cirrus easier, and you won't
lose too much money on any of those aircraft. In addition, if you really
want to do a lease-back, those airplanes will be affordable enough that you
might actually rent them enough so you don't lose your shirt. Unless you
live in the perfect environment (plenty of people with money and free time,
plus excellent weather), I don't see how you'd do enough rental business on
a Cirrus to even put a dent in the ownership cost.

"New Pilot" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

Wanted to hear your advice about buying a brand-new plane even before
getting the PPL ticket.

Here is my situation: I am a businessman sitting on quite a bit of cash
being generated by my business, and I am also a student pilot, will
probably
get my ticket by the next Summer. I am thinking about buying one of them
Cirri SR22.

Considering that the inflation in this country is picking up, and also
that
there is quite a long waitlist for those Cirrus aircraft, would it make
sense for me to place an order now, and until I get my ticket and gain
some
experience, to lease the plane back to my local FBO?

Does this make sense economically, or am I totally crazy? In general, how
good an investment are those brand-new airplanes, provided one can afford
pay cash for them?

Thanks in advance,

A Newbie Pilot