Old October 4th 03, 02:45 AM
David Megginson

Default Q: CYKF (Kitchener/Waterloo Regional) ILS RWY 25

I was glancing at the IAP for the CYKF (Kitchener/Waterloo) ILS 25
tonight (like most Canadian plates, it's not available online), and I
noticed that the DH is very high:

ILS 1554 (500) 1 1/2
LOC 1560 (506) 1 1/2
CIRCLING [A,B] 1560 (506) 1 1/2 [C] 1560 (506) 2 [D] 1700 (646) 2

Ouch! Does anyone know why DH for the ILS approach is nearly the same
as circling minima? I landed there once VFR and do no remember any
major obstructions, and there's nothing noted on the plate near the
final segment. The CFS has a couple of notes on this approach in the
PRO section:

1. The approach overflies Guelph airport about 1000 ft above circuit
altitude.

2. Expect delays when CYYZ (Toronto) 05 and 06R are in use.

but neither of these would affect DH.

Nearby, the CYXU (London) ILS 15 and CYHM (Hamilton) ILS 12 approaches
both have the regular 200 ft DH.

All the best,

David