Old November 1st 05, 05:45 PM
Brian Whatcott

Default Potential Class B Bust

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:17:39 +0000, Charlie45
wrote:

Yesterday I was out flying Acro with my instructor and allegedly we
violated Class B airspace.

We were doing three series sequences at 3000 and the Class B floor
where we were was at 4000. The seqeunce consisted of a "Sharks Tooth"
to an "Immelman" followed by a "Spin".

Upon completion of the Sharks Tooth I began to setup for the Immelman.
I started the brisk pull-up and noticed a jet flying above me at a
distance of approximately 1000-1500 ft away. After completing the
manuever, I glanced back to my 6-7 O'clock and saw the jet pass by at
an altitude still slightly above us. This is key, because I am 99%
certain the jet (later on learned it was a G4) was above me. We
proceeded back home and after calling regional approach we are given a
phone number and instructed to call once back on the ground.

My instructor, who by the way is an airshow veteran and has over 24,000
hours under his belt was also certain that we were not above the jet.

We headed over to a local restaurant and called the number. I initially
spoke with the controller. Apparently the jet had called us in and and
he was flying at 4000ft. The controller said that the jet's TCAS
reported us exactly at 4000 and so did the controllers mode C. I tried
to explain to the controller that we were certainly beneath the jet and
given the performance of our aircraft (8KCAB Super Decathlon) it would
not have been possible for us to be above him given the manuveurs were
doing and given our entry altitudes. I handed the phone over to my
instructor and he discussed with the controller for about 10 minutes.
The controller got all my information and said that I would be
receiving a call or a letter in the near future.

I am really concerned about the whole situation and am wondering what
the consequences of this incident could be. Given that I was receiving
dual at the time, who is liable? Also, I truly have a very hard time
believing that we were at 4000. However given that he reported us at
4000 and not 4100 or above, technically if we were in class B, then we
would have only violated it by 1ft. This is obviously a very fine line
and there must be some slight discrepancies in the accuracy of Mode C
altitude encoding capability.

I am not one who does not respect the rules of the FAA and am cognizant
of the importance of Class B and the lives put in jeopardy if class B
airspace is violated. If I would have been flying the manuveurs on my
own, there is no way I would have felt comfortable flying beneath the
class B shelf and normally if I am without my instructor I head out
much farther where I have more room to execute the manuveurs. However,
given that I was instructed to fly the manuveurs there and given that I
relied upon his experience and knowledge, I felt comfortable.

Anyone with any experience in such a situation? What could
realistically happen? What could the worst case scenario be? Am I a
liable or is my flight instructor liable?

Aerobatics in proximity to controlled traffic is not good.
Preoccupation is what gets crews flying into iron clouds.
Your instructor collects more approbation than you it seems.
But disclosing in public also shows a positive safety attitude.

If they shoot you, the remaining troops will presumably be
encouraged to sin no more - to mangle Napoleon's sentiment.

Was there no radio link that could have alerted the controlled
traffic, I wonder? Was there no place else to practice?

All the same, I think they will treat you gently.

Good Luck

Brian