Old March 19th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Webb

Default Flying from North America to Hawaii

Come to Alaska first. Then head south from Cold Bay, Ak airport, stop at
Midway Island, Then proceed to Kawai' airport on the northernmost of the
major Hawaiian islands, and never require a leg more than 1300 miles.

A partially completed "Adventurer" 4 place amphibian sits in my driveway
awaiting such a trip. But I intend to go direct. That makes a single 2200
statute mile leg. I will have 30 Gallons of fuel in each wing, and 60 more
in fuselage tanks. Add an aux tank of around 50 gallons makes a total of 170
gallons of fuel. At 7 gph, and 120 mph I should make it with 41 gallons to
spare. I have mathcad files exploring every variation of this since the
speed and consumption are guesses...

170 gallons of fuel weighs 1020 lb. My 250 and 50 lb of assortes gear makes
1320 lb. That's still 13 lb short of the Adventerer's gross.

If I don't make it, who cares...I'll just land and siphon fuel from the
nearest boat;^}- or maybe raise a sail for the last bit...

Now let's hear from the flame artists, telling me why it's impossible.