Old August 4th 04, 02:24 PM
Pete Desautelle

Alan-

I totally agree with you, even to a larger scale. Instructors as of late
(and partially driven by pressure from students) are not teaching these
"building block" fundamental skills which are essential before tackling
radio navigation. I think its a shame. Basic pilotage is so essential that
it absolutely has to be taught from the beginning. As I recall, it is also
still a part of the Practical Test Standards.

Another place I see this happening is the IFR instruction of NDB approaches.
Most students do not fly them for practice because they wont have to fly it
in a practical test if the ADF box is placarded INOP (which they
conveniently do before the test). The rationale behind this is (a) they are
"too difficult" and (b) the ADF navaids are being removed in the future so
why learn something like it. IMO, its a shame b/c it teaches students a lot
in terms of orientation, building block skills, and basic airmanship, etc.

"Alan Gerber" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.student vincent p. norris wrote:
I'm not an instructor, but it's my impression that students are no
longer taught dead reckoning or pilotage.

I don't know about other students, but I'm certaily learning about them.
We're just starting cross-countries, and we're starting with pilotage.

My CFI specifically told me we're not even going to use VORs at first, to
make sure I actually look outside.

--
Alan Gerber
gerber AT panix DOT com