Old August 17th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning
three-eight-hotel

Default Copper in oil analysis ?

I have now been to a few engine rebuilders, including one who designs
and builds engines from scratch (not aero engines) and overhauls all
the normal kinds of aero engines, and he reckons this doesn't mean
much. The IO540-C4 has brass bushings around the rockers, and few if
any other brass parts, and the main bearings are not brass.

Interesting...

I was just at my mechanics shop yesterday, and on the way through the
hanger, I was talking to one of the guys that works there... I asked
him what was going on, and he said, "Copper found in the oil analysis".
My thoughts were, "that can't be good", but he, infact, showed me
where one of the brass bushings had come loose and showed some wear.
He said it wasn't a big deal...

Best Regards,
Todd