Old November 26th 04, 05:37 AM

On 25-Nov-2004, "Michael Adams" wrote:

What does the FAA say about adding IFR certification to planes which do
not have it? Can IFR be added to any plane, or does it have to have some
sort
of "pre-cerfication" by the manufacturer for make and model? This
question came up, because I have seen IFR added to a few aerobatic models,
presumably for "emergency IFR".

As I understand it, the type certificate for a given model indicates
approval for flight in IFR conditions. The vast majority of certificated GA
aircraft are so approved. Some specialty aircraft, like purely aerobatic
models, might not be certified for IFR -- I really don't know. In any case,
I suspect that adding IFR approval to an aircraft whose type certificate
lacks it would probably require at least an STC.

Now, beyond type certificate approval, Part 91 IFR operation in an airplane
carries certain minimum equipment requirements AND a static system/altimeter
check within the preceding 24 months. Sometimes that static
system/altimeter test is (erroneously) referred to as "IFR certification".

As I said, most GA airplanes are approved for IFR operations, and most
manufactured within the past 40 years or so are equipped with basic IFR
instruments (sensitive altimeter, gyro compass, AI, and rate of turn
indicator). So, what generally is required to make a previously VFR-only
airplane legal for IFR is, in most cases, addition of required avionics if
not already installed and successfully passing a static system/altimeter
test. Minimum avionics requirements are 2-way VHF com and nav gear suitable
for facilities that will be used.

Does this answer your questions?
--
-Elliott Drucker