Old June 30th 04, 05:47 AM
Mark Hickey

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

Speaking of watching the sky's .Did anyone see anything last Saturday that
looked like a piece of space debris burning up? About 10:30 PM last Saturday in
sourthern Ohio about 6 of us saw something streaking across the sky from NW to
SE or there abouts .It was about 25 -30 degrees off the horizon and was visible
thru an arc of about 40 degrees horizontally and lasting about 7-8 seconds
before it went out of sight behind some trees. It was a burnt orange color and
seemed to spewing sparks of the same color .Kinda like grinding a piece of steel
on a grind stone.A small piece seperated from the main portion and only lasted a
couple of seconds.

I've seen tons of meteorites of various colors but I can't believe that this was
one. It seemed too slow ,everyone remarked that it seemed about the same speed
as the Shuttle break up.

Just wondering if there's a place that lists times of space debris coming out of
orbit,I'm really curious about what it might have been.

Probably a bolide (sp?)... basically a large, fiery meteor that breaks
up as it enters the atmosphere. Sometimes there's even a sound track
to go along (if it's close, that is). Some of them can be pretty
spectacular - I've only ever seen a few of 'em, and I spent lots of
nights laying on my back counting meteors (I must have had free time
when I was a kid).

AND no I wasn't drinking any Muzzleloader!!!! :-0

You'll see all KINDS of amazing things if you drink that stuff.

Mark Hickey