Old October 13th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:10:35 -0400, "Gary Drescher"
wrote in
:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .
Have you any idea how this fact:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html
There was a distress call from the pilot involving a problem with
fuel, government sources close to the investigation told CNN.

may have influenced the outcome of Lidle's flight?

Is any more known about the exact nature of the emergency reported to
ATC?

Look at more recent news reports. That's long since been retracted.

I'd like to read that retraction if you have a link to it. I did
hear, that the engine was reported to have been operating at the time
of impact, but that does not necessarily preclude fuel issues.

I wasn't able to view the CNN video on the page at the link I posted,
so I don't know what sort of corroborating evidence it may contain
regarding the emergency call reported to CNN. But the radar track
apparently shows the aircraft descending rapidly immediately before
impact. That might be consistent with a fuel emergency.

I find it difficult to believe, that a pilot intent on compliance with
regulations would intentionally descend into the 'canyon' of buildings
prior to attempting a 180 degree turn there.