Old January 7th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default First TSO-C199 "TABS" device

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:07:30 PM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 3:23:44 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
[snip]
Perhaps the easiest way to warn is with good audio.
Do any of the currently available TABS / ADSB-In devices offer audible warnings?
And do they fit in - not hanging off like an afterthought - a typical glider instrument panel?
Possibly the new Air-Avionics unit?
Jim

Flarm (that is, the company) tells me that it (that is, the powerflarm product) sends warning messages for conflicting adsb traffic on the dataport(s) exactly the same way it does for flarm, but with logic appropriate to power planes / jets / whatever. If that's true, then you as a flarm + CN2 user are covered. You'll get the same "Traffic, 3 o'clock high" message you would get for a glider, but presumably at a much greater distance. Unfortunately (and this is a real aggravation for me) there is NO WAY TO TEST THIS short of jousting with an ADSB-out equipped aircraft.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

The CN's audible FLARM warnings are good, haven't done any dogfighting with power planes lately.
The thread is about TABS. Wondering about non-FLARM devices giving useful audio warnings.
Jim