Old September 12th 03, 02:19 AM
Kirk Stant

Kevin,

What we appear to be seeing here is how strong preconceptions and/or
expectations can override actual events. I could have sworn I would
get a better zoom with ballast, but I now realize that it doesn't make
sense. And I know all about Gallileo's experiment - I surprized my 15
year old daugher with it just a few weeks ago. But not having put
much thought into it, I didn't connect the two. Amazing, you can
learn something on RAS, occasionally!

It would be fun to poll the general soaring population about this - I
asked a really good pilot friend about this and his immediate answer
was "Of course you will go higher with water".

Now, I still have a gut feeling that there are some other forces
acting that make it seem that a ballasted pullup goes higher - because
it sure feels like it does!

Must have something to do with Flat Earth Theory....

Kirk
66