Old January 21st 04, 05:23 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:02:32 -0000, "Alistair Wright"
wrote:

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:01:07 -0000, "David Starer"
wrote:

Well Martin, you and I both know that whenever you land out in the UK there
will shortly be police car and a crowd of gawpers asking where the 'crash'
is!

Too true!

In more than twenty C/C flights I always encountered this response.
Even when I showed people that my engine hadn't fallen off, they still often
could not comprehend the idea of flying without one. So much for our
'air-minded public I used to think.

Its worse than that. I was in a field When the only spontaneous
response to a glider sitting in a field by the road is a yell of
'******' from a passing school bus you realise just how strong the
anti-avialtion culture in the UK is. But then we already know that.

On two occasions some local worthy
actually summoned the Fire Brigade who were NOT amused to find no crash and
certainly no fire.

On one occasion (I was part of the retrieve crew) there were eight
police cars, two fire trucks and a rescue helicopter. A local rang
them. At least the rescue services blamed said local, not us. When we
arrived the villagers were muttering about blocked roads and how they
could never get a cop when they wanted one.

Gliding will never attract the Beeb because there is no money in it and you
cannot package it for TV.

Yeah, I know, but you'd think a short interview would be on when yet
another soaring (or model flying) gold medal arrives in the UK. Maybe
this happens too often for it to be classed as news?

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK