Old March 6th 16, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport Future?

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 6:06:20 PM UTC-5, Paul Agnew wrote:
The issue would be timing. He doesn't want to be half-way through the rating and have the operation close doors on him.

A fellow JetBlue pilot recommended Citrus Soaring - Franklin Burbank - in Mt. Dora/Eustis. (Between Leesburg, FL and Sanford, FL at the Mid-Florida Airpark.) When I trained there last July, they had just moved back to Mid-Florida that week after being over at Pierson for something like 20 years. They have a 2-33 and a 1-26, and I was able to complete my Comm-Glider add-on very easily.

Franklin and his dad, Bob, are both Designated Examiners. Scheduling rides is never a problem. (They also do checkrides for Seminole Lake.)

http://www.citrussoaringclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/Citrus-Soar...2899575746304/

Franklin Burbank 352-223-2883

They have my highest recommendation.

Cheers!
Paul Agnew
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have flown with Franklin once before. A very good instructor and a younger guy than most CFIGs I know.

The biggest difference in Seminole and Citrus is Blanik L23 vs Schweizer 2-33 and the hours of operation I believe. Seminole is open Tue-Sun. Seminole has accommodations on site but not sure about Citrus. Seminole also has a Grob 103 and 3 Pawnee tow planes. I enjoy talking to some comp pilots and checking out their gliders at Seminole but I can not speak of Citrus. Seminole has a DPE living at the field but Bob and Franklin will also come to Seminole for check rides. I have not been to Citrus, I flew with Franklin when he worked at Seminole.

Either place can hook you up. They are not that far apart. You can visit each and check out the action and see which one fits you better.