Old September 15th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default C-182 pattern help

SilkB wrote:

I am just starting to fly a C-182T and I was wondering if anyone has
any tips for the settings in the pattern/approach.
I have done most of my hours on C172, but when transitioning to C182 I
noticed that it's hard to get this plane down in the pattern. I enter
the pattern at 17"MP (to slow down) and abeam the numbers I lower it
to 15"MP while putting in 1 notch of flaps and trimming for 90-95KTS.
On base I put in another notch of flaps and trim for 85KTS and the
final notch of flaps on final while keeping 70-75KTS.
My problem is that with these settings the plane is not really
descending until the base to final turn where I need to cut down the
power completely. I would have liked to keep about 15"MP in all the
way to the round-out to make the landing nice and soft.
Any tips?

Start slowing down well before you enter the pattern. You should be
under 100 knots at the time of patter entry, preferably 80-90. I always
tried to be at 80 MPH (mine was a 1967 and was referenced to MPH, not
knots) when abeam the numbers. I'd then pull on carb heat, pull the
power to idle, crank in two handfuls of nose-up trim and apply flaps 10.
This would keep me close to 80 MPH with a decent descent rate. Turn
base once the above is done and select flaps 20 keeping the speed at 80
MPH. Turn final and select flaps 40 immediately if a little high or
delay until short final if a little low. Cross the threshold at 70 MPH
or a little slower and land. Should have no need to carry power or add
power to land.

Matt