View Single Post
Old April 24th 16, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default CCSC Landing Accident?

Yes another highly preventable accident, thankfully no one hurt, just embarisment and higher insurance rates.

As for the Pawnee, probably the easiest most docile large engine taildragger there is. I find most guys who have never experienced their ability as sprayers (99% of tow pilots) land them way too fast, and as a result wheel land. The Pawnee will three point incredibly docilely and with very low energy. There is no need to come scalding in at 80mph as I've many doing.

In the dusting business we almost every day have to deal with downwind landings as we many times work off of one way runways. First few times better pay attention. After doing a bunch of them, its really no big deal as long as your paying attention! Landing in up to 10mph tailwind very routine. Very accurate speed control vital and keeping the energy real low. The pawnee I've worked in 15 mph quartering tailwinds, but it necessitated not being gusty and bringing her in slow and three pointing, dont even think about wheeling her on in those condx unless you have gobs of runway (we had 1600 ft).

The problems arise when a guy DOESNT KNOW he is landing downwind. That's when things can get interesting real fast. When we work off of new runways or fields we always set up white 8 ft pvc pipes with multiple fluorescent flagging at both ends and the middle of the strip. It really helps to know exactly what the wind is doing on T/O roll with a heavy load and on short final. This can help signal a thermal coming across the runway etc.
Dan