Old January 15th 04, 07:41 PM
Laurence Doering

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:13:03 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:
In article ,
"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
"John Keeney" wrote:

At least it wasn't the Navy's B-52N.

...the catapult launches were spectacular, but kicking the whole ship
backwards fifty yards was annoying the crew...

...plus I still think that the engineering that must have gone
into that wing folding joint must have been horrendous not to
mention worrying in use.

Well, after those two guys got caught in the accordion folds of the
Model I B-52N, the telescoping wings of the Model II were a big
improvement. Although they did have a tendency to push Tomcats over
the side if you accidentally activated them without checking clearances.

Are you sure about that? My sources say the B-52Ns that actually
made it into the fleet had more or less conventional folding wings,
with the hinges just outboard of the inner engine pylons.

The real bitch was designing a hydraulic system that was capable
of folding the starboard wing 90 degrees quickly enough so the
wing would clear the carrier's island a split second after the
B-52N caught the three wire.

I don't think they ever did work all the bugs out of the system,
especially since it had to unfold the wing just as quickly to
save the aircraft in the event of a bolter. Forces caused by
gyroscopic precession of the rotating parts of the #7 and #8
engines (which tended to twist the pod off its pylon) as the
wing folded were also a problem.

ljd