Old October 28th 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default FLARM A minimum spacing to ADS-B Antenna? 1 foot !?!?

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 2:00:03 PM UTC-7, OHM Ω wrote:
I might have to disagree with FLARM's statement, "The FLARM antennas have priority over this [ADS-B] antenna for best placement."

I think that early detection of a 1,000 lb FLARM equipped glider closing at 100kts should probably take a back seat to early detection of a 62,000 lb ADS-B equipped 737 closing at 400kts. Just sayin'

There are caveats to that statement of course. There are low risk and high risk ADS-B traffic areas. But you aren't going to move your (FLARM and ADS-B) antennas around based on where you are flying this week. So I would think that you should place your antenna based on the worse case threat scenario = a high speed and hefty flying bomb. Just sayin'

My $0.02 - John "OHM"

The reason the Flarm antennas are more critical is because the power of the flarm signal is very low compared to the ADS-B signal.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com