Old February 11th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Chris

Default If user fees go into effect I'm done

"Everett M. Greene" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:
"Blueskies" wrote

So, you are saying let Flight Watch die, which for now is a free
service,
and replace it with a privatized service for a fee. Yes, that is the
problem...

Flight Watch is not a free service, there are no free services. You
consider Flight Watch to be a "free service" only because you don't pay
for
it directly, it's paid with taxes. I would much rather let Flight Watch
die
and replace it with private sector service providers that charge fees and
compete for my patronage than pay a direct user fee to the FAA for each
use
of Flight Watch.

Just how much competition do you expect there would be to
provide Flight Watch service? Would there be even be one
company willing to provide it?

The incremental cost to the government to provide Flight
Watch is minimal -- the facilities and personnel are
already in place. The cost to replicate the facilities
and staff the operation for a private company would be
quite high as would be the fees necessary for the provider
to make a profit.

What is the size of the contract the FAA has with Lockheed? I thought the
Flight Watch service had already been let out for a profit. I cannot
imagine Lockheed doing the job to breakeven.