Old January 16th 18, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Oct 2017 publication - Dynamic Soaring - Albatross - Full text

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 7:33:54 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 7:46:01 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
For your winter reading pleasure...

http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.o...e2=tf_ipsecsha

I have wondered about this and how this can be applied to human guided glider flight. In the RC slope soaring world, Dynamic Soaring has been breaking ground for the last few decades, with speeds exceeding 400mph with a model glider! They do this in the lee of the hill. The G-forces are TREMENDOUS though, and the wings have to be specially built to withstand these forces. I've wondered how full-sized gliders would hold up to this kind of flying in the lee of a mountain ridge.

Yet another subject that can link to the comic relief thread. The USAF Test Pilot School had a Dynamic Soaring program called Have Bladder. Link below..
Jim
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a469903.pdf