Old November 28th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Did I violate an FAR?

Roy Smith wrote:
In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

A friend of mine filed one after being on an IFR approach in actual and
the approach controller into Napa, CA told him, "radar services
canceled, squawk VFR, contact tower". He wasn't sure how to react other
than to just ack. I wonder if any action can to the controller.

How about "unable VFR".

True, but I can understand why he reacted why he did. First, he was
very time pressured, he was FAF inbound. Second, we aren't used to
hearing stuff from ATC that we don't expect. Although it sounds
complicated to non-pilots, generally ATC isn't very creative in what
they say. I can see how a pilot could react unpredicatably to an
unusual (and illegal) ATC request. My guess is that he was always IFR.
The controller probably just used the wrong phrase but the flight was
probably in the computer. Certainly ATC cannot make you VFR once you
receive an IFR clearance without a pilot request.

-Robert