Old August 20th 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

On Aug 20, 11:33*am, Alex Potter wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:14:01 -0700, Andy wrote:
draws 0.8 amps @ 12v

I've not been near an airfield for 10 years now, but are there no
advances in solar power/battery technology since then that improve a
glider's power supply? What is a typical glider's current requirement?

--
Alex

I run my whole panel on less than 0.8 amp average. PDA, logger,
vario, radio. I use a 14 AH battery, useful capacity about 10 AH,
adding 0.8 amp would take me down to about 6 hours duration. I'd have
to add another battery somewhere to get my target 10 hour capacity.
Solar would be an option... but dang those things are ugly on a pretty
glider.

0.8 amps isn't a deal breaker for me... but less is better.

The Navworx product isn't generating any interest here because there
is at present no way to build a complete system out of the thing that
will work in a glider flown in proximity to other gliders. Possibly
someone like Flarm could do this... but the price point is going to be
difficult, $2500 transceiver, plus whatever additional for a display
and software... I don't see that catching on.

-Evan Ludeman / T8